#Local

More arrests soon in Berhampur assault case, says Southern Range IG

Police will soon arrest the remaining accused named in the FIR in connection with the Berhampur Giri Road assault case, Southern Range IG Niti Shekhar said on Thursday. He asserted that strict action would be taken against all those involved in the attack on a young couple.

Providing an update on the investigation, the Southern Range IG said police had already arrested Raj Malhotra and Lingaraj Samal and subsequently apprehended the main accused, Mukesh Sahu.

“The incident that took place on Giri Road in Berhampur on Monday night caused concern among everyone. It also disturbed us. We are taking the matter seriously and investigating it thoroughly,” Niti Shekhar said.

He said Mukesh Sahu had taken police to a location where he claimed he would provide information about other associates linked to the case.

“One of the two individuals seen attacking the victim in the viral video was allegedly known to him, and he said he would provide information about that person. Police took him to the location for that purpose. However, he snatched the service weapon of an Assistant Sub-Inspector, following which police opened fire in self-defence,” the IG said.

“He sustained an injury to his foot during the exchange of fire and is currently undergoing treatment at a hospital. No police personnel were injured in the encounter,” he added.

More Arrests Expected

The senior police officer said efforts were continuing to apprehend the remaining accused.

“The rest of the persons named in the FIR will be arrested soon. Such incidents will not be tolerated and strict action will be taken against everyone involved in such crimes,” he said.

Assault Triggered Public Outrage

The assault took place on the night of May 18 on Giri Road in Berhampur. According to police, Umesh Rath was travelling on a scooter with his female friend when they were intercepted by a group of attackers.

The assailants allegedly dragged Rath onto the road and assaulted him with sticks in public view. He sustained critical injuries and is currently undergoing treatment at a hospital in Visakhapatnam.

Also Read: Berhampur assault case: Main accused Mukesh Sahu injured in Police encounter

Videos of the assault later went viral on social media, prompting widespread public concern and leading police to launch a special operation to identify and arrest those involved. Investigation into the case is continuing.

More arrests soon in Berhampur assault case, says Southern Range IG

FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *